Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 Fantasy Football Review

The 2013 season marked the second season that my fantasy football team, Big Mike Boyz, participated in the Damn D Fest's league, started by Matt D. in 2008.  In late July, the annual draft lottery was held at David B's in Barberton to determine the draft order of the 12 participants, which is done in a snake format (draft order reverses from round to round).  A month later, the draft was held at Greg and Mario's house, where we paid our $100 entry fee, up from $80 last season.  The extra money was used to compensate both the team with the best regular season record and the post-season champion.  There were two new owners in the league this season, Tyler (Acme co-worker) and Kyle (Matt's BHS friend).

The championship, won by Lee, was held in Week 16 since many NFL teams would be resting their starters in Week 17.  Lee had a big turn-around this season, after finishing tied for last place during the 2012 season.  Nick missed the postseason and had a losing season for the first time in the league's six season history.  Big Mike's Boyz overcame a low draft grade in 2012 to make the postseason, but that would not be the case in 2013.  Big Mike Boyz finished last place (12th) with a 2-11 record, only beating Kyle and Corey's teams, who finished in 10th and 11th place respectively, with 4-9 and 3-10 records.  My biggest undoing was drafting four players from the Atlanta Falcons, who went from being a potential Super Bowl pick in the preseason, to finishing 2013 with a 4-12 record.

This is a recap of my roster:

QB: I drafted the Falcons' Matt Ryan, who had a solid season.  My backup, Giants' QB Eli Manning, had a disappointing season, but I only started him during Ryan's bye week.

RB: I drafted Ravens' Ray Rice in the first round and he had a down year due to injuries.  Bills' Fred Jackson turned out to be my top RB for the season, with waiver wire pickup, Lions' Joique Bell, giving me a fill-in during bye-weeks.  Rams' RB Zac Stacy gave me a good stats once he got healthy, which happened to be around the time I acquired him.

WR: I drafted Falcons' Julio Jones in the second round, who ended up on the IR with an ACL tear during mid-season.  This led me to trade Rice and Rams' WR Austin Pettis to King Blake in exchange for WR Demaryius Thomas and RB Zac Stacy.  I definitely made out on the better end of this trade, although it was too little, too late for my team.  Vikings' Greg Jennings and Bucs' Mike Williams were both major disappointments, with Williams ending the season on the IR due to an hamstring injury that required surgery.  I picked up Chargers' Eddie Royal off the waiver wire and he was probably one of the most inconsistent fantasy players in the NFL this season.  Titans' Kendall Wright gave me decent stats for several weeks out of the season as a flex WR-TE.

TE: I drafted 37 year-old Tony Gonzalaz, who turned in a solid season in his 16th and last NFL season.

K: I drafted Falcons' Matt Bryant, who gave me a decent season.

D: I drafted the Broncos defense, which was expected to be one of the NFL's best this season.  Unfortunately for me, it turned out to be very average.

No comments:

Post a Comment