Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 Fantasy Football Review


The 2016 season marked the fifth season that my fantasy football team, Big Mike Boyz, participated in the Damn D Fest's league, started by Matt D. in 2008.  In late July, the annual draft lottery was held to determine the draft order of the 12 participants, which is done in a snake format (draft order reverses from round to round).  I landed the 12th pick, which meant I picked last in the odd number rounds and first in the even number rounds.  On August 23, the draft was held in Coventry, where Matt D. lives at with three roommates.  Before the season started, everyone had to pay their $100 entry fee.

The championship, won by Lee, was held in Week 16 since many NFL teams would be resting their starters in Week 17.  I finished the season 5th place with a 8-5 record, making the postseason for the 3rd time.  Unfortunately, I still have yet to win a postseason game, as I lost to Lee in the First Round, 121-67.  My opposing RB LeVeon Bell and D Arizona outscored my entire team that week.  I did not win any money this season. 

This is a recap of my roster:

QB: I drafted Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger in the 3rd round to be my starter and Radiers' Derek Carr in the 12th round.  Both QBs had huge seasons, so I was not hurting when Roethlisberger missed two games in the second half of the season.  Carr was injured at the end of the NFL regular season, but my fantasy season was over at that point.

RB: I drafted Texans’ Lamar Miller with the 12th overall pick in the 1st Round and Colts’ Frank Gore in the 6th Round to be my starters.  I drafted Patriots’ LeGarrette Blount in the 10th Round to be my backup.  Gore had a better than expected season and Blount turned out to be the steal of my draft.  This gave me the leverage to trade Miller on September 27 for WR Alshon Jeffery.  I then picked up RB Darren Sproles off the waiver wire to serve as my backup RB.  I also drafted Packers’ James Starks in the 15th round, but cut him in September without having played him.

WR: I drafted Packers’ Jordy Nelson, who was coming off a lost season with an ACL tear, in the 2nd round.  I also drafted Cardinals’ Michael Floyd in the 4th round and Raiders’ Michael Crabtree in the 7th round to be my starters.  Nelson and Crabtree had strong season, while Floyd was mediocre.  I drafted WR Redskins’ Josh Doctson and Eagles’ Dorial Green-Beckham in the 8th and 9th rounds, before getting cut in September.  Due to not having a reliable WR-TE Flex starter, I traded Miller for Jeffery.  While Jeffery was a decent starter, he didn’t perform as well as I hoped.

TE: I drafted Bengals’ Tyler Eifert in the 5th round as my starter and Bears’ Zach Miller in the 11th round as my backup.  Eifert ended up missing the first six weeks of the season, so I started Miller.  I dropped Eifert because I needed to make room for bye-week pickups and Miller struggled, so I also dropped him.  I picked up Buccaneers’ Cameron Brate in the middle of the season and he gave me mediocre production.

K: I drafted Patriots’ K Stephen Gostkowski in the 14th Round and he gave me the stellar season he is accustomed to giving fantasy owners.

D: I drafted the Rams' defense in the 13th round, which was inconsistent until I had to change my defense due to a bye-week.  I struggled through the rest of the season using Bills, Cowboys, and Eagles’ defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment