Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Fantasy Football

This year was an exciting year for fantasy football as my team, Big Mike Boyz, participated in the Damn D Fest's league, started by Matt D. in 2008.  His friend Jeremy was not available to play this year, so I filled in place of his team.  In late July, a draft lottery was held at David B's in Barberton to determine the draft order of the 12 participants, which is done in a snake format (draft order reverses from round to round).  A month later, the draft was held at Greg and Mario's house, where we paid our $80 entry fee.

Once the season started, Nick got off to a 7-0 record and finished as the regular season champion before losing in the semifinals.  The championship, won by Mario, was held in Week 16 since many NFL teams would be resting their starters in Week 17.  The weird thing is that the 5th and 6th seeded teams played for the championship, both of whom finished the regular season 7-6.  Actually the weirdest thing was Jason starting 0-5 before winning 4 straight with a large number of points.  Big Mike Boyz's finished 4th place with a 7-6 record before losing 100-76 in the first round.  I started the season 4-1, before losing 3 straight and leveling out for the final weeks.  I won $15 the last week of the regular season for finishing with the most points in the league that week.

This is a recap of my roster:

QB: I drafted the Lions' Matt Stafford in the 2nd round and he had a rough start to the season before having a strong finish.  At one point, I had to bench Stafford in favor of Bengals' Andy Dalton.

RB: Dolphins' Reggie Bush and 49ers' Frank Gore were questionable picks coming into the season, but they both gave me a good year and Gore was selected to the Pro Bowl.

WR: I drafted Texans' Andre Johnson in the 1st round and gave me a good, but not great, year.  Steve Smith was solid and I was in trouble at the beginning of the year because my other WRs were garbage.  I made a bad pick with Titans' Kenny Britt.  As soon as I made it, I thought I should've drafted Redskins' Pierre Garcon, but looking back now that wouldn't have been any better than Britt.  Packers' James Jones had a big first game so I decided to pick him up off the waiver wire and he saved my ass.  Jones was the only significant waiver pickup I had this season.

TE: I drafted 36 year-old Tony Gonzalaz in the 9th round and he proved to be a steal.  He had a big year and made it to another Pro Bowl.  I drafted Cowboys' Jason Whitten a few rounds earlier, which was risky considering his spleen injury, but after a slow start, he finished strong and also made the Pro Bowl.  I used Whitten as a WR-TE flex.

K: I drafted Patriots' Stephen Goskowski, which to no surprise was a great pick considering the large number of points the Pats score.

D: I drafted the Texans and with J.J. Watt on their line with 20 sacks, it turned out to be another great pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment